Sometimes you want to feature a collection of pages on your site using the Pages component, but some of those pages exist on external websites. Since the page collection shared partial uses pages on your site to populate collections, you need to create a dummy page for each external link you want to include in the collection. You can accomplish this by doing the following:
- Create a Content page on your site like you normally would.
- Once the page is created, find the page in your Pages dashboard.
- Hover over your new page, and click Properties.
- Click the Custom Data tab.
- Find the Alternate URL field.
- Copy and paste the URL of the external page you want to link to into this field.
- Click Save.
- Label the page appropriately to get it to show up in your page collection.
- Make sure the page is published.
Note: You cannot achieve the same result by creating an “External Link” page for external links you want to include in page collections. These are special page types that don’t allow you to include a description; they’re meant to show up in your navigation. Therefore they shouldn’t be included in Page Collection components.